Avnet Electronics Marketing expanded its LED (light-emitting diode) offering with a new Chandler, Ariz.-based “LightLab” that will help customers test and measure LED applications, including general illumination, medical, industrial, transportation, military, signage and security applications. The state-of-the-art, 900 square-foot lab is equipped with the latest LED metrology suite from Instrument Systems. The lab is designed to measure key optical, electrical and thermal characteristics of high-power LEDs.
“The demand for LEDs has reached an explosive growth phase,” George Kelly, technical specialist and LightLab manager for Avnet Electronics Marketing Americas, said in a statement announcing the facility’s opening. “Avnet LightLab’s capabilities coupled with Avnet’s national team of LED-focused illumination engineers (“illumineers”), substantially reduces our customers’ design time and provides a means to weigh various design options, ultimately optimizing their end-products’ performance and extending their competitive edge.”
Avnet also announced new Web enhancements recently, giving online customers greater visibility into authorized supplier factory stock via its e-commerce engine, AvnetExpress. Customers can now view in-stock availability for a select group of Avnet suppliers in addition to searching Avnet EM’s catalog of more than 5 million electronic component products. The service is part of Avnet’s effort to increase access to authorized products and eliminate customers’ need to turn to the open market.
Customers can view in-stock availability for Cooper Bussman, ebm-papst, Integrated Device Technologies (IDT), M/A-Com Technology Solutions, Maxim, National Semiconductor, Omron Electronics, Rochester Electronics, Stackpole and Texas Instruments (TI). Additional suppliers will be added, the company said.
In other news, element14 launched an updated version of its search and design tool, the Knode, this month. The site now offers better navigation, improved search capabilities, a “My List” feature that allows users to store and share information, and a host of new content and resources. In particular, the upgrades include more rich technical content and resources for embedded design and PCB design flows, with quick access to detailed information, app notes, datasheets, videos and downloads. Users will also find easier access to development kits, development tools and embedded software from leading manufacturers such as ARM, Freescale, Micrium, Microchip and TI, the company said.
Top distributor TTI Inc. added to its online capabilities recently as well, announcing the release of a TTI Android App for free download on Google Play and the Amazon App Store. The new app strengthens TTI’s suite of mobile offerings and follows the recently released TTI iOS app for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Both applications allow users to search for parts, utilize the unique TTI Part Builder tool and request personalized sales quotes via their mobile devices.
And still other companies were making news this month, releasing the following announcements:
- Distributor Interstate Connecting Components earned a Boeing Performance Silver Excellence Award, which recognizes suppliers that have achieved superior performance in meeting Boeing’s requirements.
- Distributor TJR Global joined the Electronic Components Industry Association (ECIA).
- TTI Inc. was honored by Celestica with a 2011 Total Cost of Ownership Supplier Award, which recognizes suppliers that support Celestica’s TCOO sourcing strategy to provide its customers with the best possible supply chain solution for their products.
- Allied Electronics received Bourns Inc.’s e-Commerce Excellence Award for 2011, honoring the distributor for achieving the highest percentage growth from 2010 to 2011.
- Arrow Electronics launched a cloud-based Chinese lighting design platform where electronicsengineers can design complete LED lighting solutions online available at: http://components-asiapac.arrow.com/campaign/arrow-lighting-designer/
- Mouser Electronics launched a new application and technology site focused on automotive design available at: http://www.mouser.com/automotive-applications/. Mouser also announced a new distribution agreement with Intersil Corp., designer and manufacturer of high-performance analog, mixed-signal and power management semiconductors.
- Avnet Memec was named pan-European distributor for U.S. solid state battery maker Infinite Power Solutions.
- Electronics manufacturing services provider SMTC Corp. will host an open house August 16, celebrating its recent facility expansion and the opening of a Center of Excellence manufacturing facility at its San Jose location. The invitation-only half-day event will feature local business and political leadersand offer a look at the company’s expanded facilities and capabilities.
Don’t miss these upcoming industry events:
Connectors, Cable Assemblies and Optical Transceivers for High-Speed I/O Applications Up to 150 Gbps
Pre-recorded online QuikCast, presented by TTI, FCI and Electronic Design
On demand until Aug. 6
UL 1449 Surge Protection Solutions Lightning Surge Protection
Pre-recorded online QuikCast, presented by TTI, Littlefuse and Electronic Design
October 15-17, 2012
ECIA Executive Conference
October 28-30, 2012
November 13-16, 2012
We want to hear from you. Send your news to [email protected].