Avnet Inc. announced two key executive appointments that will enhance its components distribution business worldwide.
David Bent has joined the distributor as senior vice president of information technology (IT) for Avnet Global Information Solutions and will provide IT leadership for Avnet Electronics Marketing. Avnet EM also announced that Lynn Torrel, senior vice president of global supply chain and strategic accounts, has assumed responsibility for Avnet Velocity and Avnet United. Velocity provides tailored solutions for technology companies who want to more easily manage the complexity of their supply chains, and United serves contract manufacturers and original equipment manufacturers.
With more than 30 years of IT experience, Bent most recently served as chief information officer (CIO) at United Stationers Inc. Prior to that, he held leadership positions at Visteon Ford and Acterna, and has had multiple overseas assignments, including four years in the UK and 11 years in Germany. Bent holds a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering from the University of Bristol in England.
Torrel brings 18 years of electronics expertise to her expanded role, having joined Avnet in 2001 after the acquisition of EBV Elektronik. She holds an MBA from Arizona State University and also received the 2010 W.P. Carey Student Leadership Award.
Bent will report to Steve Phillips, Avnet’s CIO and will work closely with Gerry Fay, global president of Avnet Electronics Marketing; Torrel will report directly to Fay.
In other personnel news, Peerless Electronics announced that Joe Lattanza joined the company’s management team in the newly created role as director of engineering. Lattanza will work with Peerless’ field sales engineers to develop engineered customer solutions in conjunction with the Peerless Electronics Value Added Assembly Center. He joins Peerless from BAE Systems, where he served as program engineering manager. Prior to that position, Lattanza was a manufacturer’s representative in the metropolitan New York area. He is a graduate of The Polytechnic Institute of New York University.
And in other electronics industry news:
- East Coast Microwave, distributor of RF/microwave connectors, components, cable and assemblies, has been certified to AS9100 Rev. C Quality Management System for Aviation Space and Defense organizations.
- Mouser Electronics announced that is has been certified to the AS9100 C standard for quality and control.
- Farsens S.L., designer and manufacturer of RFID sensor solutions, has launched a new Web site to help customers find more information about their active and battery-free wireless sensor solutions: http://www.farsens.com
- DistributorBTC Electronic Components announced the following new distribution agreements with three best-of-brand RF connector manufacturers: the Emerson Connectivity Solutions Trompeter line, Amphenol RF and Delta Electronics Manufacturing.
- RS Components and Allied Electronics, the trading brands of Electrocomponents plc, is spurring the world’s engineers into creative combat with an invitation to pit their design skills against each other using DesignSpark Mechanical, the company’s new free and intuitive 3D design software, co-developed with SpaceClaim. For details about how to enter the DesignSpark Mechanical customer challenge go to http://designshare.designspark.com/eng/
ECIA Executive Conference
October 27-29, 2013
14th Annual ISM Indirect/Services Conference
December 5-6, 2013
March 31 – April 4, 2014
Santa Clara, Calif.
We want to hear from you. Send your news to [email protected].