Plainview, N.Y.-based distributor Astrex Electronics Inc. announced its acquisition of TIM-CO, a distributor of electronic components focused on commercial aviation, space, oil and gas, industrial and military markets. TIM-CO will continue to operate from its Simi Valley, California-based location as a stand-alone branch of Astrex.
The deal expands the companies’ product offering and geographic coverage, giving Astrex and TIM-CO customers access to electronic components from more than 25 manufacturers through franchised agreements.
Astrex is a value-added distributor of electronic interconnects focused on the aerospace, military, medical and industrial markets. The company is one of the largest electronics distributors in North America, ranking 29th on Globalpurchasing.com’s 2012 list of the Top 50 Electronics Distributors, with $31 million in sales in 2011.
In other news, fellow Top 50 distributor Newark element14 recently announced its month-long celebration of engineers, to coincide with National Engineers’ Week, Feb. 17 through 23. The event salutes aspiring and professional engineers with activities and special promotions, including webinars, a blogging contest and a special challenge during the 29th Annual Du Page Engineers Week Expo at the Illinois Institute of Technology, Rice campus, on Feb. 23, where attendees will compete to build a simple circuit. Prizes include the Raspberry Pi programming computer as well as other products and tools from suppliers such as Agilent Technologies, Analog Devices, Bud Industries, Eaton and Microchip. Details are at the element14 online community.
In other industry news:
- Avnet Memec, a division of Avnet Electronics Marketing Americas, will host a new series of Microsemi SpeedWay Design Workshops featuring the new Microsemi SmartFusion2® SoC FPGAs. The workshop series kicks off Feb. 19 in San Jose, Calif., and Philadelphia, and will be held in 26 cities throughout North America.
- Mouser Electronicsrecently received the Asia 2012 Bourns Distributor of the Year POS Growth Award, recognizing that it achieved the highest overall percentage POS growth in Asia for all of Bourns’ catalog distributor partners. Mouser Europe received the same award during the Electronica event in Munich last November.
- Mouser also announced that it is stocking the new RM024 RAMP Modules from Laird Technologies-Wireless M2M, the drop-in replacement for the LT2510 series.
- TTIand Molex are teaming up to present a product quickCast on High Current Wire-to-Board Connector Solutions. The 15-minute pre-recorded quickCast is hosted by Molex’s global product manager, Jeff Torres.
- The Electronic Components Industry Association is gearing up for CARTS International in March, announcing this month that David Evans, inventor of hybrid electrolytic-electromechanical capacitor technology, will keynote the technical symposium that will feature two seminars focusing on applications and markets for supercapacitors, ultracapacitors and hybrid capacitors. ECIA sponsors CARTS International, the top technical conference for the passive electronic components industry.
Don’t miss these upcoming industry events:
23rd Annual North American Research Symposium on Purchasing and Supply Chain Management (NARS)
March 14-15, 2013
We want to hear from you. Send your news to [email protected].